Goal 7: Affordable and clean energy
What it’s about:
Our life would be hardly imaginable without energy consumption, but the use of fossil fuels is associated with CO₂ emissions, which demonstrably contribute to climate change. It is therefore necessary to significantly increase the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix and to promote investments in energy infrastructure and clean energy technologies. Energy efficiency must be doubled worldwide and access to research and technology for clean energy must be facilitated.
Almost all of our German production sites are already supplied with green electricity. We also have locations outside Germany that are supplied with green electricity. The remaining switchover potential will be exploited by the end of 2022 wherever possible. For a long time we have also relied on the production of our own green electricity using photovoltaics. Photovoltaic systems have already been installed at three locations. We have also identified other business locations that are suitable for photovoltaic systems and fundamentally have the potential to generate electricity from solar energy. These measures will be gradually implemented at suitable locations between now and the end of 2023. We have also identified locations with high gas consumption. We will accordingly convert all the locations where green gas is available or identify green alternatives to gas. In principle, all of our locations make sure to optimize energy consumption. For example, our Hungarian colleagues at the Körber campus in Pécs have received an award for their energy efficiency. We are also converting our company car fleet to electric cars and are expanding the number of necessary charging stations at the same time. Based on our new travel policy, we only approve unavoidable travel and use trains for travel times of up to five hours. We are also developing new technologies for reducing energy consumption. This is the case, for example, in our Business Area Tissue with warm-up contactless, a hot foil stamping system that saves energy, time, and space. Thanks to these and other measures in the focus area , we are making a contribution to the attainment of this UN Sustainable Development Goal.
The number / the fact:
- All Körber locations (where possible) with green electricity by 2022 (100%)
- All Körber locations (where possible) with green gas by 2023 (100%)
- All Körber locations (where possible) with PV by 2023 (100%): Nine additional locations by 2023 (more than 7,000 MWh of solar power as calculated by the photovoltaic service provider)
- In 2022 we will define a feasible path for reducing our energy consumption.
- By 2025, our company car fleet should consist of 100% electric vehicles and by 2025 charging stations should also be set up at all necessary locations
- The travel budget will be reduced by a third compared to the base year 2019.